From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 01:48:49 -0600
From: "Gary Kaucher" :Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2001 12:20 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Sound Card/Modem Problem on Packard Bell Axcel 350CD

> Mary- Thanks for your response. As you indicated, Windows 98 is
identifying
> my sound card/modem as a Washington 16 Aztech. In device manager it
> indicates that there is nothing wrong with the sound card driver, but
there
> is a resource conflict, apparently an IRQ problem with the Printer Port.
Is
> it likely that it is not a resource conflict, but a driver problem
instead?
> I was unable to find the Sound 144 drivers on the PB website. Would anyone
> know of another source. Thanks for all the help.
>
> Gary
>

> >Gary,
> >
> >Packard Bell used this sound card modem combo in many of their computers.
> >The drivers for Win 95 worked but these drivers did not work in Win98.
They
> >finally came out with an upgrade but you need the drivers from their site
> >for the Sound 144 sound card.  Windows identifies it as an Aztech or
> >Washington sound card and installs the drivers, but the drivers will not
> >work with the card.
> >
> >Hope this helps,
> >
> >Mary Wolden

Gary,

You can find drivers and the layout of the sound card at:
http://www.windrivers.com/company/packbell/sound/sound1amsp.htm

If this is not your sound card, here is a page that has many Packard Bell
sound card drivers with diagrams of the sound card so you can identify the
card you do have:
http://www.windrivers.com/company/packbell/sound.htm

Fixing the IRQ resource conflict with the Printer port will not work in
getting the sound card to work if it is the Sound 144 sound card.  Windows
loads the drivers by the chip maker which will not work with this
proprietary card.  As I remember I had to go in and use a DOS utility to set
the parameters of the sound card.  I believe I still have a book on the
Sound 144.  If you do have this card and need any help I can see if I can
locate where I have it stashed.

Mary Wolden