From:
"Dr. Dean Kukral" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:03:39 -0600
My apologies.  Before the post I checked with a friend who used
to work at Symbios.  I guess we were both confused.

The issue of performance in your computer is still at hand,
however.  IF the RAID system is implemented in hardware
(as with the host adapter/disk controller setup or some
other setup that uses a hardware interface such as a
USB) then I see the possibility for improved performance.
However, if the system is implemented in software, then
I wonder how the performance improvement is realized?

For example, can software read from two isa disks on
the same cable faster than the operating system can read
 from one?  Can software read from two isa disks on
different cables ("simultaneously") faster than the o.s.
can read from one?  If the answer is "yes" the next
question is, is the speed gained enough to offset the
additional overhead of the program itself?

If the goal is reliability, then you are willing to sacrifice
speed for a little savings in dollars.  But, I question
whether you can see a speed performance.  Have
you seen benchmarks??

Dean Kukral  [log in to unmask]