From:
"Frank R. Brown" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:54:23 -0500
I have an old P6 180 MHz micron machine.  For routine
work, my biggest complaint about the machine is its
disk drive performance.

Some time ago I added a second hard drive to it.  My intention
at the time was to make the second drive the master on the
second ide controller, and make the cd-rom the slave on
the second controller, leaving the original drive as the master
on the first controller.

However, the cable was a little too short for this, so as an
expedient, I put the second drive as the slave on the first
controller, leaving the cd-rom in splendid isolation on the
second controller.

I'm wondering now how much benefit I might gain from
going back and putting the second drive on the second
controller.  If I did that, would there be benefits to putting
specific things (e.g., the pagefile) on the second drive?

The os is on the first drive, the pagefile is on the first drive,
and applications and data are on both the first and second
drives.

(I recently upgraded the system to w2k, but I would be asking
the same question if I had left it as nt4.)

Since I've been running like this for several years, you can
see that this is not a huge issue for me --- for example, I'm
not planning to go out and get a faster controller and disk
drives to increase performance --- but I think I could pop for
an ide cable if this kind of tweaking would help some.

Thanks for any advice.

     Frank R.Brown
     Frank.R.Brown@MailAndNews

                     visit our download web page at: