RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 11:40:09 -0800
Here's an article I came across on the science direct website.
It may interest some list members.

"Differences in meat quality between organically and
conventionally produced pigs"

Viktoria Olsson, Kristina Anderssonb, Ingemar Hanssona
and Kerstin Lundstroma

Meat Science*
Volume 64, Issue 3 , July 2003, Pages 287-297

* a peer-reviewed, academic journal.

Abstract

This study compared organic pig meat production with conventional
production with regard to carcass- and meat quality traits. 80
crossbred female and castrated male pigs were used [(Swedish
Landrace X Swedish Yorkshire) X Hampshire] of which 40 were
raised under organic conditions and the other 40 were raised
in a conventional production system. The organic pigs were raised
outdoors in one large group following the regulations for organic
standards. The conventionally raised animals were kept indoors
in groups of eight and were given a conventional feed mixture.
It was found that meat of organically raised non-carriers of the
RN- allele was of poorer quality (higher drip loss and increased
shear force values) compared with meat from the other animals.
The RN genotype had a relatively small effect on carcass and
technological traits in this study. The sex of the animals affected
carcass traits.

PS:

1. It is standard practice among the raw pseudoscience fakes
to speculate on, or even attack articles they have not even
read. (Suffice it to say that they appear to only rarely visit
research/university libraries.) Instead, please cultivate integrity:
if you wish to comment on the study, please obtain full text and read it
*before* commenting. Thanks!

2. I am presenting the article abstract without comments or
interpretation of the content. I leave further investigation to those
interested in the topic.

Tom Billings