RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Roberta Leong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 01:07:48 -0500
Matt,

If you click the button to quote the original message, it will indent
it so
the original text is easier to read.

Regarding bring kids up raw, they must have flesh foods if you want to
do
this.  It is very hard to find a good source of raw dairy, and they
will
need it for strong bones.  Raw goat milk might be the best for kids.

Regarding fat, I'll say it AGAIN - - I would bet the mustard oil thing
is a
transfatty acid, not a cold pressed oil.  Udo Erasmus' book is Fats
that
Heal, Fats that Kill; yes based  on research and the ONLY decent book
have ever read on the biochemistry of nutritional fatty acids.

A mixture of protein, carbs and fat is required for kids to grow and
be
well.

Muscle requires amino acid in the diet as they are the building blocks
for
the muscle fibre.  Kids need to develop a good lean muscle mass and
without
adequate protein they'll have problems.  An alternative source is to
sprout
a wide variety of dry beans.

Fat is required partly for energy, but more importantly, certain
lipids are
required for growth because cell membranes and certain hormones
utilize
specific fatty acids as building blocks.

Yes, sea vegetables include seaweed.  It is easy to purchase dried in
any
Asian grocery and does not require preparation except rehydration.

Because you don't eat animals and don't eat eggs, I suggest you find a
good
source for sashimi and include that in your raw diet 3-4 times a week.
That will give you the EFAs and flesh protein you will not have on an
otherwise raw diet.

Regards,
Roberta