Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 18:06:17 +0000
I was at CompUSA today and overhead a conversation between a customer
and the tech counter guy. The customer wanted to do exactly the same
thing and the CompUSA guy told her to call Packard Bell to find out
if and how she could disable only the modem portion of the on-board
combination, because even their techs had to call Packard Bell. She
asked the price to install the new modem, and he responded $39.95.

Sorry I can't be of help, but thought it interesting that what should
be a simple procedure confounds lots of people.

Jim

P.S. Depending on the number of available slots, I don't see why you
couldn't have two modems. I had two modems installed in a Toshiba
Infinia with a PS mouse without a problem.

> Greetings All,
> I offered to do a friend a favor and attempt to install a new modem
> in his Packard Bell 2950 (Pentium 120 / 32 Meg Ram).  Naturally,
> I thought this would be easy.  It turns out that his old modem is part
> of his sound card.
>
> Is there a way to disable the old 14,400 modem half of the sound card?
>
> Is it possible to have two modems installed?
> (He has a PS2 mouse so 2 com ports are free)
>
> Does any one know how to turn off the PB Fax Works (all in one phone
> messaging and fax service - I can't seem to disable the software)
>
> Thanks
> Bill Rysanek

Jim Maki