GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 09:55:05 -0500
Ebrima, your 20th Message is quite apt and timely. It is important that we
put the record straight for these so-called diplomats. It was good that you
informed them that we are no longer prepared to take their abuse lying down.
We have the wherewithal to and we shall debunk any misinformation they want
to feed their respective governments. I was encouraged, when I looked at
Gambian newspapers today, to discover the following article from the Point
Newspaper.

Like you, I respectfully appeal to MRDGUK to be armed with such publications
when they meet with policy makers in the UK. Clearly, the utterances of the
Deputy High Commissioner is irreconcilable with Britain's decision to
restore military cooperation with The Gambia. Joshi's views are also at odds
with statements I have heard from the High Commissioner.

The British must understand that the picture is even worst than the bleak
way Joshi painted it. For instance, Joshi said that year 2000 was a "mixed
year for the country", insinuating that both good things and bad things
happened. I will not characterize year 2000 as a good year, by any stretch
of the imagination. Yaya's order to massacre innocent children as young as
three, wiped out anything good Yaya has ever done in his life. Year 2000 was
also the year of the Basse Ambush. It was also the year of the Radio FM
arson attack. It was also the year that Dumo et al were abducted and
illegally incarcerated. It was also the year that Yaya's and Famara Jatta's
own statistics showed us that Gambians have grown poorer. This was also the
year that Yaya's cronies in the National Assembly thwarted the will of the
people when their colleagues wanted to expose the rampant corruption Yaya
and his cohorts are engaged in. It was also a year when numerous journalists
were harassed and threatened with deportation. There are numerous other bad
things that I will not get into here. Joshi himself made the case for the
Opposition in certain respects. To describe some of the human rights abuses
Joshi listed and then turn around and call Gambia a Democratic country, is
absurd. If the elections are not free and fair, then we do not have a
legitimate government. That is the simple truth. Suffice for me to say that
a government with such a record, does not deserve to lead a nation. No
amount of 'development projects' can justify having a callous leader at the
helm ordering the murder of innocent citizens. Would Joshi or the High
Commissioner tolerate this type of behavior in Britain? Worse still, would
they reward such behavior if it took place in their country? By
strengthening Yaya's army, they are rewarding the murderers of our children.

These repugnant policies have to cease. Joshi and his boss have to relay the
correct message to the authorities in Britain. If they don't, we will. It is
one thing to say all the right things before a press conference. We are more
interested in what they do. We have to challenge the Joshis of this world to
reconcile the views expressed in this article with the fact that top British
military officials were in Banjul feting vermin like Baboucarr Jatta and
promising them more arms. Joshi and Britain should tell us how Sandhurst
educated soldiers in The Gambia are helping Gambian children and poor
Gambians that cannot afford one square meal a day.

Ebrima, as far as the U.S. is concerned, rest assured that people are
constantly on the watch and we monitor closely what information is fed the
State Department. We will remain vigilant and make sure that the U.S.
authorities are properly informed about what is going on in The Gambia.
Thanks again for your contributions.
KB

British Envoy Disappointed By Govt. White Paper
Deputy British High Commissioner to the Gambia Bharat Joshi has expressed
their disappointment over the government's white paper on the commission of
inquiry and the coroner's inquest into the April 10-11 students
disturbances. Mr. Joshi speaking in an exclusive interview noted that the
government's decision to ignore most of the key recommendations made by the
commission was quite disappointing.
He added that the international community welcomed the idea of establishing
the commission of inquiry and the decision to publish the white paper, but
would have perfered to see some follow up on the inquiry and careful
consideration of its recommendations despite that both the security forces
and student leaders were blamed. He further said that his government is very
much concerned about the good governance situation in the Gambia.
"We've seen for the past months some key institutions under threat - the
Independent Electoral Commission, the Auditor General's department, the
Judiciary, the Police and also the proposed constitutional amendments in the
context of elections slated for this year, have created great concern in our
country and other donors about the prospects of free and fair elections in
October," he pointed out. "We are very carefully watching the situation to
see how things would evolve in a couple of months."
"There are a few key things. As you know, in 1996, we didn't think the
presidential elections were free and fair. One of the key tests is whether
the opposition would be given free access to the government media as well as
the independent media. We will be watching the situation at a very early
stage, and very carefully the IEC's handling of the elections," he said.
Mr. Joshi added that they have also learned a lot from the Sami elections
which was well-handled under the leadership of former IEC chairman, noting
that the counting of ballots at the polling stations rather than taking them
to a certain location will be one of the key things they would be looking at
during the forthcoming presidential elections. "In many ways the Gambia is
in the shadow of Senegal, Ghana and Guinea Bissau where elections were said
to be free and fair.
The eyes of the world would now turn on the Gambia as the next West African
state which is facing democratic elections. The country would be under the
microscope," he emphasised. However, he said the IEC's role is key in this
election. In that context, they would continue to support the current
chairman and would help where they can. "There are some constitutional
amendments which affect or pose a threat to the independence of the IEC
which are of concern to us, like the proposed amendments concerning the IEC,
which are quite worrying."
Joshi said this year would be important to the Gambia, as last year has been
described as a mixed year for the country. "This year will determine the
future of this country as the outside world would like to see the country
running a transparent democratic system, especially in the elections over
the next 12 months," he concluded.
POINT 2/8/01