C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:18:46 -0500
This is part of a series of posts discussing those of us with Cerebral
Palsy whom I know primarily locally who encounter significant spinal
column and spinal cord injuries.  The conditions and symptoms vary by
person.  They seem to occur over time in the wear and tear of living.

ISM

Rog drove me to see Al Monday, Feb 19, 2001.  Surprise!  He was to go
home the next day.  Since we were the only two with him we had a chance
to talk though his jitters, make suggestions, find out more about what
he'd been through, and what would happen next.

He has three weeks to adjust before he returns to hospital to have the
fusion rods removed.  The doctors were not able to stop his involuntary
head movements and that seems to be working one of the rods prematurely
loose to unspecified effect.  To minimize head rotation, the docs
attempt to have Al wear an upper torso neck harness which looks like a
modern version of medieval armor.  He needs assistance putting the
device on.  When in place the stricture triggers intense neck muscle
spasms and debilitating pain.  His alternative may be extensive time in
bed, wearing a smaller cervical collar which limits but does not stop
Al's head rotation.

Al claims his left arm and leg are "fine but weak."  My untrained eye
sees lost range of motion and musculature in arm and leg, complete
recovery indeterminate.