C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 02:28:15 +0800
On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 09:25:32AM -0500, Bobby Greer wrote:
    In a message dated 2/21/01 2:05:31 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

    << I've heard tell that Mr. Foote can be quite a cantankerous old fart, but to
    listen to his voice was to listen to his quintessential "Southern
    Gentleman".  >>

    Shelby Foote can be abrupt. He lives in Memphis. I once called him after that
    series to obtain an autograph for someone. He asks. "Do I know you, Suh?" I
    say, "Well, no." "Then don't you evuh bother again, I only give autographs to
    friends!" amd hung up.

                              ------

    Hey, everyone, do you all (or should that be y'all?) realize that
    the above is the perfect catch-all reply to all those rude,
    stupid, offensive, intrusive, idiotic and generally inexcusable
    questions and comments we all get every day from complete
    strangers?  Only rewritten as follows:

   (After rude, stupid, thoughtless comment/question from complete stranger)

    `Do I know you Suh/Ma'am?

    `Well no' (moronic stranger)

    `Then don't you EVUH bother me again, I only explain
    myself/justify my existence to/put up with appallingly rude
    behaviour from/or educate people who I consider my friends, (or people
    who are prepared to pay me obscenely huge amounts of money for
    doing so)!'

    (Exit moronic stranger stage left)

   Many, many thanks, Bobby and Kyle for inspiring this idea, you are
   both true southern gentlemen!

   BTW, in regards to the widely spread idea that we have to educate
   the able-bodied about us and our disabilities, how can we explain
   ourselves to people who obviously regard us as perpetual children,
   and who don't treat us with the most BASIC respect in the first
   place.  How can you educate someone who thinks you are mentally
   deficient in the first place??? It is an INSANE double bind,
   ignored  if we do, ignored if we don't.  I constantly have people
   stare at me blankly if I say
   anything, and my speech is clearer, has better diction, and a MUCH
   better vocabulary than most able bodied people I encounter - some
   people would say that the only speech impediment that I have is
   that I talk too much.  Having to constantly educate others about
   our lives, is EXHAUSTING!  I don't know about anyone else, but I am
   so tired of it.  And the worst thing, is that the whole `people
   just don't understand' excuse is told to children with
   disabilities.  That is an APPALLING burden to place on a child.  I
   have been `educating' people since I could talk, and I still wake
   up screaming from nightmares at least once a week, because of the
   way the world treats me.  I also don't understand most people, but
   I don't expect them to explain themseves to me, for me to treat
   them with respect.  The provision of the basic requirements
   that we all need to live our lives on the same footing as the able
   bodied world should never be contingent on us `educating' others.
   No one else has to.  RESPECT AND DIGNITY IS A RIGHT NOT A
   PRIVILEGE, we should never have to earn it.

   Disabled people have been `educating' people for decades, if it
   hasn't sunk in now, it never will.

   I'm so very tired, and all I want is someone to give me a big hug.
   And I don't want to have to `educate' anyone to get it.

   Sorry for the above everyone, but I have had a sh** week, and it's
   only Thursday.

   Rayna