C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susie Levitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2000 00:20:53 EDT
Hi, all.
This is probably going to be my last post for a long time (I'm unsubbing due
to school, bandwith) but I had to put my two cents in about baclofen and
Zanaflex, which is another muscle relaxant targeted primarily at the back
muscles.  I have mild/moderate spastic hemiplegia on my left side, as well as
sleep difficulties for various CP and non-CP related issues.  Anyway, my
doctor prescribed me baclofen and, later, Zanaflex to stop muscle pain.  When
I asked her about the side effects, she tpld me it would help me sleep.
Yippee!
   What she didn't tell me was that both of these drugs have side effects of
depression and/or psychosis.  I had to find this out for myself.  About a
month after I began the Zanaflex, I was actively suicidal.  When I went home
for winter break, my mother had to sleep in my bed with me because I was
afraid I would try something.  I got off the Zanaflex and life got a bit
better.  Instead of actively wanting to kill myself, I just thought that it
would be rather nice if, while crossing the highway to go to the grocery
store, I was accidentally hit by a passing semi.  I was on baclofen for about
a year before things got that bad. I got off of it and things are now much
nicer.
 And another friend of mine had warned me about baclofen's side effects.
Just remember, the Physicians Drug Reference is our friend!
Susie