BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "lapsit exillas"
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 22:00:23 EDT
In a message dated 5/23/2000 1:46:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I don't see why upper floor awnings on the Haughwout building
 in SoHo are so bad >>

Missy,

Couldn't agree more.  If the objections to awnings in this case aren't really
to the realtor's using them for advertising, somebody's out of his/her mind.
Then again, I can't see any reason why one shouldn't be able to put one's
business name on an awning -- did we invent signs in the late 20th century?

Surely these jerks wouldn't object to an awning that said Stugazza's Italian
Bakery, so what the hell is wrong with The Corcoran Group, or whatever their
name is? In this case, the awning is a civic benefit which it seems to me is
fair game for putting the name of your business.

As to black windows, I found original black painted sash (with dark olive
frames) on the 1895 house I worked on in Phoenix, in the 1970's. Looked good
then, looks good now.  On the other hand, when the Clotheshorses have their
shows and clog up Bryant Park with their Morticia Addams Lookalike Contest,
the black does get a little dull.

Ralph