From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 14:57:55 -0800

At 03:01 PM 2/12/01 -0500, Elaine Mathews wrote:

>Arthritis, allergies, asthma now celiac 9 mos. ago.
>CD, DH, myastenia gravis, unidentified autoimmune arthritis
>Graves - Celiac
>Hypothyroidism- rheumatoid arth. - myasthenia gravis-episclaritis
>Many celiacs have peripheral neuropathy
>Celiac and psoriasis
>Fibromyalgia-Sgrogen's - then celiac possible osteoarthritis
>Celiac now hypothyroidism
>Celiac now one of the myositis's
>Celiac - Takayasu Arteritis

Perhaps I don't quite understand how you list these. Perhaps several
celiacs have each of the problems you list here. But may I respectfully ask,
shouldn't we be careful about connecting everything we have with celiac?
Unless there are a lot who consistently have a particular ailment, it
doesn't seem to me to be of much help to say that anything that shows up in
a group of 3,000+ celiacs must be related.

I do believe certain things are definitely related to celiac. But after
all, I hardly have friend past 40 who doesn't have arthritis and/or
allergies. And I seem to know non-celiacs with most of the problems
outlined above. Certainly asthma is as common as prayer in the new white
house. Almost one in ten children nowadays has some asthma. The guy who
lives next door to me has MS, and he's been well tested for celiac with no
indications. Short of doing an elaborate and controlled study, how do we
establish a "relationship" between any of these problems and celiac? Thanks
for the time. -vance