From:
Latimer Kells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 06:18:48 -0400

Hello, everyone!

I am still fuzzy on the differences between CD, gluten intolerance, wheat
allergy, gluten allergy.  Can somebody set me straight as to the
differences amongst them?  My doctor seems to define celiac as a gluten
intolerance that is genetically based.  But, as we all know, celiac is so
under-identified in this country.  My Irish-Italian mother was never
diagnosed with celiac disease, but she died of intestinal lymphoma and
bloated after eating flour products.  I am sure she was celiac.  What's the
difference between allergy and intolerance?

Also, I've heard that even if you are GF for a couple/few weeks it could
make your biopsy results negative because the villi may not show damage.
If this is indeed the case, then why is healing and getting well such a
protracted event for many of us, often extending into months and years?

Thanks for your responses.

Latimer

---
--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.