Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 08:47:16 -0800
From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
On 10 Feb 98 at 5:43, Carmen wrote:

> You misunderstood.  Should I re-write the message?  Could you tell me how
> the list can be changed?
>
> I do not have any PS2 connectors. I installed a PS2 connector for the mouse.
> The keyboard and connector from the MB are PC. The mouse was originally in
> serial 1.

  So this is an actual *card* that provides a PS/2 mouse connector,
and not just a connector from the motherboard's "PS/2" socket/pins?
  [The mystery, then, is why you're getting a "keyboard error"
message.  Does it go away if you put the mouse back on serial 1?]

> I am starting to think that it is possible that the PS2 connector I
> installed and plugged to the PS2 mouse pins was in fact a PS2 keyboard
> adapter. I noticed yesterday that the MS keyboard can also be plugged to
> this adapter. What kind of a damage can result from this?

  PS/2 mice and keyboards use similar voltage levels, so *in general*
no permanent harm should be done if they're plugged into one
another's sockets.  The machine just won't operate correctly hooked
up that way.
  But I'm a bit concerned by your reference to moving the mouse from
"serial 1" to PS/2.  I know that you can get adapters that will allow
a serial mouse to be physically connected to a PS/2 port, but my
understanding is that these should only be used with mice designed to
handle that.  [My hunch is that the PS/2 port will supply less power
than a serial port, and that may not be enough for some mice to
function.]

  I'm cc'ing this back to the list in case someone else has an idea.

David G

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]