BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "lapsit exillas"
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 07:31:21 EDT
In a message dated 5/10/2000 10:36:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Ralph-
 I have a lovely picture of a local Victorian (1870s vintage currently, may
 have some earlier stuff underneath, since the styling is rather wacky...
 anyway) with good awnings that shade the wrap-around porch. Would you like
 for to have a copy? Picture is worth a thousand words-- show them how cool
 they look, and perhaps you will have better success?

 Other than that, Roger Moss' book onVictorian exterior design has a good,
 readable chapter on awnings. >>

Heidi,

Thanks, but we have old photos of our house (Babb, Cook & Willard, 1889) with
the damn awnings on the sunporch!

I think the problem is that my fellow Board members (who tend to be more
horticultural than architectural) are Old Money types (and Martha Stewart
role models, rather than MS-wannabes who would see awnings as charming and
giving the appearance of the Good Life in the Golden Age) who think of
awnings as throwbacks to their youth  which have been superseded by Space Age
Plastics.   Whereas I, a child of 1950's Los Angeles, consider anything older
than I am to be Historic, and anything from the sophisticated East to be
Exotic.

Will look up Moss on Awnings.  Or Awnings in  Moss.

Thanks.

Ralph