AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ellen Perlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:45:10 -0600
Dear List Members:

My personal opinion:  It would be great if EVERYONE were to
experience the wonders of assistive technology - for sooner or
later we ALL will need it. I think the workstation must be
ACCESSIBLE TO ALL PATRONS (NO "limited to ..."), and situated in
as prominent a location in the library as any other workstation
(i.e.  NOT in the back room).  However, patrons who need the
technology to access the library's resources should have top
priority for using the workstation.

As for wording:  There is no such thing as "ADA use" or "ADA
people."  People cannot and should not be described by ANY
particular law. Just as we are not "d..." people. Avoid the "d"
word and use the POSITIVE terms: ACCESSIBLE/ACCESSIBILITY.

How about a sign on/by the workstation:

"To enable our Library's resources to be accessible to all, this
computer workstation has been equipped with assistive technology.
Thank you in advance for giving patrons who need this technology
to access our Library's resources top priority for using
this workstation. "

Positive Sells.  Positive Wins.  Every Time.

Ellen Perlow
Chair, ALA ASCLA Century Scholarship Committee
"Celebrating a New Century that Celebrates Diversity"
http://www.ala.org/ascla/centuryscholarship.html
Next Application Submission Deadline: March 1, 2001
Have you recruited a Century Scholarship applicant today?
Manager of Information Services
School of Library and Information Studies
Texas Woman's University
P.O. Box 425438
Denton, TX 76204-5438
Tel.: 940-898-2622  Fax: 940-898-2611