RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ingrid Bauer/J-C Catry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 23:11:24 -0800
>Dental decay (Ganss C et al: Caries Research. 33(1):74-80, 1999)
>Amenorrhea and excessive weight loss (Koebnick C et al: Annals of Nutrition
>& Metabolism. 43(2):69-79, 1999)
>
>Happy news was that there were some positive studies as well. But they did
>not cross over with these concerns.
>
>Does anybody have any really valid comments on these studies. Given the high
>sugar content of raw food and the obvious rapid weight loss, both of the
>above could be obvious problems.

a raw food diet doesn't have at all to be a high carbonhydrate diet.
Animal
products , nuts and vegetables can makes a diet low in carbonhydrates
and
being safe for the teeths. Wild berries and fruits close to their wild
ancestors are unlikely to be so easely over eaten than domesticate
fruits
selected for their high sugar content.
high carbonhydrate diet is most likely the main factor of dental
decay.

about wheight loss,:
having cut many animals for some years ,i have been striken by the
difference between a wild animal and a  grassed fed domestic one (
deer and
lamb or beef) or between a grass fed domestic animal and a grain fed.
once i sorted out the visible extractable fat from the muscles of a
lamb of
same weight than a small deer ( less than one year old ) i end up with
aproximately half the amount of meat.And this doesn't take in account
the
fat inserted in the muscle itself ( marbling) that can't be removed.
A young deer is constitued of pure muscle with no trace of fats at
all.
So because humans have grown up on completely unatural foods ,it is
not a
surprise that once you can elimate this fat , you end up with
nothing.left.
It is certainly very difficult to built a body once an adult. You will
have to
exercise madly to oblige your body into building muscle when it might
have
more urgent or  important things to do.
A raw vegan diet deficient in certain nutrients will makes lose the
muscles
too in the long run.

The collectively integrated body image might be far off the natural
morphology of our species . High dairy intake is linked to high
stature for ex.
Most of the peoples in the world are much smaller than that.
I remember seeing a movie turned at the end of last century of
aboriginal of
australia where the mens were very lean looking then you see them in
the 60's
they were almost all obese. The kung peoples are very lean in their
body but you can see that their muscles are dense and powerfull ( very
much
like a deer )

I think there is thousands way of eating raw ( meaning that you don't
cook )
all the main categories of foods can be represented or absent either
in raw
or cooked diet. Diversity being the principal factor of success in
maintaining it.
It is true that once you removed grains and dairies from a
supermarket,
there is not that much left to buy.
The praticality of a  sustainable pure  raw food diet is challenging
but not
impossible.

It is not wise to rely on studies to makes a judgement considering the
small
number of raw foodists and the high percentage of unbalanced
applications of
the concept among them.

jean-claude