From:
Dennis Thiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 22:14:21 -0500
Hello Everyone,

I just installed an ASUS K7V motherboard with 1 stick of 128 MB PC133 ECC
SDRAM. When I turn on the ECC function in the BIOS, it always hangs at the
memory check when booting and I have to turn it off. But when I turn it back
on, I can't access the BIOS via the delete key...it goes right to the memory
check and hangs. I have to put a regular SDRAM in, and then it lets me into
the BIOS so I can turn the ECC function off. Then when I put the ECC SDRAM
back in, it runs rock solid...as long as the ECC function is off. Is there
something else I should be looking for in the BIOS as well or are there
jumpers on the mobo that I need to set? Or do I possibly have a bad SDRAM?
On the bootup screen it is identified as just SDRAM, but this is with the
ECC turned off. Does ECC need to be turned on to identify it as ECC? It has
9 chips on each side so it should be ECC, right?

I haven't checked my BIOS version to see if it's up to date. I'll do that in
the meantime.

Here's my basic system:
ASUS K7V with 500 MHz Athlon
Corsair 128 MB PC133 ECC SDRAM
20 GB IBM Deskstar UDMA 100 alone on primary
4.3 GB Western Digital UDMA 33 on secondary with CDROM
Initio PCI SCSI card with Yamaha CD/RW and internal Zip attached
Fresh install of Win98 SE

Thanks in advance,

Dennis Thiel

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: