From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 13:00:28 -0500
> Just coming back on the list after a hiatus of more than a year and one
> half...... changed fields and am now an MIS Coordinator who is in
> WAY above
> his head.
>
> Need to revamp my surge control and battery backup.....work for a very
> $$$limited organization (not-for-profit) Wondering if anyone has
> recommendations for UPS's from other manufacturers than APC.  Though they
> appear the de facto standard there are a lot of other brands that
> "promise"
> the same or more for quite a bit less.....eg. Tripp Lite,Cyber
> Power.....even IBM....
> Any recommendations appreciated.

     Well my only entry into the world of UPSs is the one my feet are
resting on! It's a Tripp-Lite (sp?). It works very well. Not sure how old it
is, I bought it used for $50 CND 2 years ago. I think there are generally
two types of UPS buyers. The first, like me, buy a UPS to act as a UPS, it
keeps my system powered when power goes out. The second type of buyer is who
buys it mainly for the insurance supplied with the UPS. Since I bought mine
used I have no insurance. I would stay with the mainstream manufacturers
though if it were a liability thing, or if you want the remote shutdown
capability to work with a non mainstream OS (Linux, BeOS and so on). TTYL

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions