From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 19:25:48 -0500
Bob asked:
>I was wondering if any of the women on the list who have breast or
>bottle fed
>can tell me about their experiences with going paleo versus non-paleo
>and if it helps
>with these types of symptoms.

Bob,
My older daughter was breastfed only, with the exception of the 15ml of
formula that the most inconsiderate nurses gave to her while in the
hospital. I ate a great deal of dairy and wheat at the time. The gluten and
casein from the dairy and wheat enter the breastmilk. My daughter ALWAYS had
a runny nose and ear pain, and a host of other symptoms.

My younger daughter has NEVER had formula or juice, or any dairy or grains.
I converted to paleo when she was a few months old, and she only recently
had her very first cold, at age 16 months, which was uneventful. I gave her
no medicine except for sips of herb teas, she was fine in 2 days.

I absolutely believe that paleo brings allergy/asthma relief to kids.

If I were you, I would suspect the formula first and get rid of it if
possible. Then consider your family's diet. Whatever your wife is eating is
in her milk. If the baby is allergic to something in her milk, your wife
should stop eating it. (Consider this as well, the apple didn't fall far
from the tree; if your child is allergic to something, there's a good chance
that you or your wife have the same allergy anyway.)

There is a brief account of our personal experience that brought us to the
paleo diet on our web site http://www.tolen.org, follow the cave man.
Several people have told me that this sounds very familiar to them (In fact,
check out Bob Hodgen's link from my site).

If you do a web search on allergies and asthma you will find a lot of
fingers pointing to wheat and dairy, and chemical additives in food. Sugar
is really bad too. Even "just a little", even if it's "natural unbleached
cane sugar". There are environmental concerns as well for allergic people
and athmatics. For example, did you know that ordinary fabric softener is
toxic to your (and your kids') lungs?

Hope this gives you some of the answers you were looking for. It's a start.
Best to you,
Stacie