BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chapel of the unPowered nailers.
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:20:31 EST
In a message dated 1/10/01 9:17:53 AM Central Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< Do you have any leads for where I can get information about early
electrical switches (i.e. dating them)?  Or patent information for light
switches? >>

Anne,

I would start by going through the Yellow Pages or Blue Book and finding the
oldest semiretired octogenarian electrician who may have had the widest
exposure to electrical work in Chicago, maybe even an electrical engineering
degree and a HAM license, and go visit him/her with some samples or photos
and start asking questions. Try calling the union hall if all else fails.
From there you will find names of manufacturers, some of whom may still be in
business. My beginnings were to be third generation electrician and I am
quite familiar with the older materials, and the curiosity and knowledge of
older electricians who like to talk... but have never yet seen any resources
on dating the materials... I'd certainly like to know more. Oh, yeah, there
is this place in Eastern Iowa where they have this yearly steam thresher
conference that has this emmense display of historic electrical gear... I
don't remember the name of the place or the event, but the SHPO in Iowa
should be able to help you make contact with the curators.

][<en