BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"William B. Rose" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Go preserve a yurt, why don'tcha.
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 13:02:23 -0600

>any techno geeks who took chemistry remember whether CO is lighter or
>heavier than air?
Somebody call?

Molecular mass of air: 28.9; molecular mass of CO: 28. It doesn't get much
closer than that. That's why I decided to use CO as a tracer gas for
ventilation dilution experiments. I expect the grad student to report back
from the lab any time now.

By the way, big fight going on right now on CO detectors, whether they
should not report concentrations less than 30 ppm after the epidemic of
alarms in Chicago a year or two ago, or whether they should report any
concentration they measure and let the user interpret safety. Here's one
current discussion: [log in to unmask]@.eeb15fd" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]@.eeb15fd