BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
J Cuyler Page <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "lapsit exillas"
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 22:00:33 -0700
 one of their members swept out some bat droppings. He later became
> very ill, with a viral related immune system failure, and almost died.

Was that Hanta Virus ?   One sawmill worker in the next town here died a few
years ago of Hanta three days after sweeping up mouse droppings in a storage
shed.   Another died in Prince George a year later of the same scenario.
It works really fast and is pretty scary for those of us who crawl around
and clean old buildings here.   I understand it exists in the East too.
That so?  How do you old building folks deal with the mouse poop Hanta Virus
threat there?

We are very nervous about it whenever we clean the old buildings, but
console ourselves that so few people actually get and die from it.   The BC
Province, in its wealth, employed a total-body-suit-with-respirator-pack
(looked like a NASA space suit) contractor with a special Hanta Vacuum to
clean up a storage shed at a Provincial Historic Site.   In our private
enterprise poverty, we simply add long hoses to the exhaust of the ShopVac
and run them out the door and away from the building when cleaning the place
here.   However, it always feels like playing a Russian Roulette lottery
when dealing with the droppings and dust.

cp in bc