RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 05:29:00 -0800
7BIT
Dear Loren,

I would much appreciate it if you could take some time to look at the
articles the folks at beyondveg.com have put together regarding all
this and let us know what you think.  What they have there is much
better, and much more worthy of your time, than anything I can type
off the cuff.

> Remember Occam's Razor, Carol; "All other things being equal,
> the simplest explanation is usually true."

Occam's Razor is also often phrased as "One should not increase,
beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain
anything."  Sheds a bit of a different light on what he meant, doesn't
it?  In my opinion, it's a much less problematic stating of it,
because that "all other things being equal" part can be a hornet's
nest. :D  Of course, choosing what is simpler isn't always a simple
task.  And "simple" and "easy" are not the same thing.

And while I'm nitpicking :) To speak of "chimps and bonobos" implies
that bonobos are not chimps, when they are in fact a subspecies of
chimp.  It's like saying that boots are bigger than shoes.  I'm not
saying that bonobos are no different from other chimps.  I'm just
saying that referring to the two groups like that will give the wrong
impression to those who don't know what bonobos are.

Anyhow...

Carol