RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
François Dovat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:45:13 +0100
ERRATA : In part 4, I translated the French word "pulsion" by "pulse". It seems the right word is "impulse".

If my English is not perfect (sorry about that), my knowledge of ancient Greek is nil. Guy-Claude Burger points out that "philosophia" means "wisdom by love" instead of "love of the wisdom", which is an erroneous translation. Fortunately there was a brilliant young professor of philosophy present at the seminar when I was there. She new ancient Greek, like Burger. She was amazed as we were by this assertion, but she was to confirm it after a few seconds of bewilderment.  Her name was Marisol Coutan and she ignored everything about "meta" before coming to the seminar "Meta 1". Later, she told a small group of us she was convinced that GCB will be recognized some day as one of the great thinkers of the history -  if no catastrophic event destroys civilisation before. For all the former philosophers, she said, our instincts were something weird and untamed, something belonging to the animal's world, to be left there and to be excluded from philosophy.

Since I'm not an expert in these fields (even that as you, Kirt, I didn't like to learn what we were taught of at school, preferring to read about philosophy instead), I also took the opportunity to ask a Dr. in psychiatry who had as well followed the "Meta" sessions. Francis Marty told me he had constantly, ever since he was a student, searched to put together a synthesis of Freud and Jung, without ever succeeding. "Soon after I arrived there (Montrame), the synthesis I had sought for my whole life as a psychiatrist was served, just like this, on our way, amongst other things...!" he said. " And it fits with what we know, what I had learned, just filling the gaps left unknown.  It's really extraordinary...".

I'm now rereading Freud commented by GCB, but it'll take me some more days to post you something about it. Then, there'll be Jung to talk about. Let's go now with Plato, to stay with ancient Greece. I suppose Guy-Claude won't mind me translating a part of his writings.

"Greek philosopher of the 4th century BC, Plato is one of the central figure of a school of thought which remains at the source of our rational culture. However, comparing of his writings with the recent notions of psychoanalysis and parapsychology as with the traditional erotic arts provides them a metapsychical aspect. This characteristic, looked over by the rationalist interpretations, corroborate each point of the theory of metapsychoanalysis.
Plato differentiate two kinds of love : the "Pandemian Eros" or the popular one, aimed at procreation, and "Uranian Eros" or celestial Eros, the one opening access to the spiritual world of  Essences. According to him, these "Essences" are real entities, and not a product of our psyche, as intellectualist interpretations let us believe : supplies of Truth and food  for the soul, they can be identified as the archetypes, which in Jung's words also provide a numinous energy organising the spiritual life. They belong to a supra-sensitive space transcendent to the ordinary space, place of the Divine Order, of the supernatural Beauty and the Real Virtue. This space is visible thanks to a suitable soul's organ, but this organ is generally blind or weakened, causing our spiritual collapse.
Contemplation of the Essences means salvation. It's the source of supreme beatitude, absolute Science and perhaps even immortality. But they shouldn't be confused with abstractions (...). The true revelation happen suddenly, end of a gradual initiation by the celestial Eros, almost the only way available to man for this purpose. This love, specific to male only (remember GCB is only here telling Plato's views - F) is not directed to copulative animal pleasure, but more towards the soul. It demonstrates itself by loving young boys (this kinda eating slugs was seemingly the instinctive-nutrition in Plato's time, but it's not mine! - F ).
Hence, Platonic love isn't desexualised, as the puritan ethics of the 18th century viewed it and still influence some analyst's comments (and common language - F). What Plato stigmatise is rather the ordinary satisfaction of desire, especially sodomy. But he condemns only loveless relations, which means completed without the ecstasy provided by the Gods.
Physical contact or gaze provides a flow, a communication of Wisdom and Beauty, a stream of numinous energy, a torrent of particles, which grows " the wings of the soul" while filling it with love (those wings being the metapsychic faculties). Here Plato anticipated genially the recent discoveries (...- of  modern physics - F) and of C.G. Jung's collective unconscious, or psy-space. The suitable perception's organ is nothing else than the "psy channel" providing access to the archetypes, and it puts together its frame from a certain form of physical love.
To spot the intersection between the two Eros, Plato emphasise on the orientation of consciousness on pleasure, which is the way down to the satiating of desire, bringing forth the physical, the opposite direction bringing the spiritual. So, we have one side the "Pandemian Eros", ordinary sexuality, procreation instinct or IRP, and on the other side the "Uranian Eros", metasexuality, IMP, introversion of Tantrism (...).

Well, I'm tired of translating and there's still so much. The French text is compounded with many references numbers to Plato original writings, which I omitted.
Of course, the metasexuality or metapsychoanlysis theory isn't "macho", like Plato's time ideas. But the similarities are striking.

Best regards,
Francois