From:
Jeryl Cordell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 15:33:24 -0700

Just got back from summer vacation abroad.

The good news, American Airlines finally got all four domestic legs right
as far as the gluten free meals are concerned.

The rest of the news.  Cruised on Reannaisance Cruise Lines.  Very
upscale, but has a unique eating seating regimen.  No assigned table, time
nor wait-staff.  Four restaurants of your choice, with varying formalities,
but no steady dining room seating.  The average traveler gains freedom of
time management, varied interesting table partners and menu variety.  The
Celiac traveler loses the conectivity of a regular waiter and maitre d'
who know what contains gluten and what you can and cannot eat.  Since the
wait staff is assigned around to the various restaurants, no one knows
what is in what.  I spoke with the head chef at sailing and he said there
is about a Celiac a week on his ship, and to press the waitstaff for
assistance.  Much, much easier said than done.  They were really hustling
and didn't have time for research projects.  Fortunately I got through
the cruise OK except for one time when I got tired of being told that all
the soups (and they were superb) were thickened with flour.  Damn.
Thought I could get by just one.  No such luck.  Why didn't I check with
the chef before sailing, you ask...because of the roaming seating policy,
Reannaisance Cruise Lines does not entertain any special food
considerations beforehand.  And neither does their captive charter
airlines, World Airways.   And it's a long way from Stockholm to San
Diego, round trip.  This they don't tell you until you've paid fully for
the trip.  My wife found ways to fill all the empty rice cake space in
the luggage after shopping in Europe.

Stick to the traditional cruise ship seating and scheduled airlines.

Jere in SoCal