From:
Bruce Sherrod <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 16:34:51 -0400
>This is the important point, I think.  If the gut wall cells are also ABO then
> those lectins that agglutinate cells of a certain type will cause agglutinati
>on in the gut wall tissue itself, which it seems to me would affect its integr
>ity.

Is there any reason to believe that _only_ the ABO-agglutinating
lections
would agglutinate or otherwise compromise the gut wall cells?

My knowledge of biology is pretty limited, but I have the impression
that cell walls consist of many different short peptides in addition
just A, B and Rh [1].  Thus, if ABO-lectins are problematic because
they
agglutinate cells with the AB-peptides, then it should also be true
that
any lectin which agglutinates any of the peptides of the gut wall
cells
is problematic.

So, perhaps ABO-agglutinating lectins aren't of any special
importance,
but instead a large class of lectins -- those which interact with the
human leucocyte antigen peptides of the gut lining -- are important.

just pondering,
-Bruce

[1]
http://beyondveg.com/cordain-l/grains-leg/grains-legumes-1b.shtml#autoimmunity