BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Met History <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks." -- Mary D
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 00:14:12 EDT
... buying a new tool."  -- Click & Clack, the Tappett Brothers

Mrs. Sharpshooter has a house on "that damn female island" (as Lyndon Johnson
once put it) in which I am allowed to vacation as long as I keep the exterior
in good repair and perform other duties.

On the water-side of said house (looking out upon the noble manses of Kenneth
Cole, Diane Sawyer, Jimmy Cagney's sister, and a guy who does not believe in
the dark-sky movement) there are some big square porches built by
Sharpshooter's father-in-law in 1955, when said f-i-l was under the sway of
the orthodox modernism he was taught at Penn Architecture School in the late
1940's.  Think ... plain, very plain.

We replaced the Gropiusian non-draining flat roofs some years ago.  But the
concrete floor slabs (about 12" thick, unexcavated, apparently poured onto
sand) which form the porch floors need more 1/2" drainage holes around the
perimeter than were originally provided.  (Wind blows rain onto the porch.)

QUESTION:  What tool should Click and Clack buy to bore more 1/2" holes
through a foot of concrete?  And, is there really such a thing as an 18" long
masonry bit?

Sign me,  Count Tersunk