RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 07:13:53 -0500
Jerry,

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 18:57:06 -0500, Jerry Story <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Recently I bought a coffee grinder.  Not for grinding coffee, but for
>grinding flaxseed.  Works very well on flaxseed.  Works on almonds too.
>
>  As everyone knows, flaxseed is a major source of omega 3. Very important
>to get enough omega 3.  The hull of the flax seed is tough and resists
>digestion, therefore it must be ground.  And after it is ground it must be
>eaten soon because it spoils, even refrigeration won't keep it for long.
> In the hull it lasts forever, even years.
>
>  The price of the coffee grinder was about $20.  Much better deal than
>buying flaxseed oil.

I agree with all of your points here, and I also include fresh-ground raw
organic flax seeds as a part of my diet, and have done so for a few years at
this point. I have gotten excellent results aided by them, and find them to
be a special and highly valuable food for me. I use both golden and brown
flax seeds. They are superior in many ways to fractionated flax oil.

Note that it's important to properly hydrate those flax seeds prior to
eating them, as they swell up to a few times their size and need plenty of
water to facilitate proper digestion and intestinal transit, etc.. Without
enough water added, they can cause constipation. But with the proper
hydration, they aid healthy "regularity", etc..

Another point of interest is to make sure to not grind them for too long at
a time, as that will cause excess friction and heat and "cook" the seeds to
some degree (not a good idea considering how fragile omega-3's are to heat).
What I find works best is to grind the seeds for a few seconds, then stop,
shake them around (in the grinder cup), then grind for a few more seconds,
and repeat that several times until the seeds are ground into a very fine,
flour-like consistency. Then, I put the ground seeds into a cup, add the
pure water, and mix well. I use about 2 ounces of the flax seeds per day.

Regards,

Wes