From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 07:15:16 -0800
Graham,

When they create CPU's at the factory, they try to make them to run as fast
as possible.  If a chip can't run at the speed they want it to, they set the
clock speed to the safest operating speed (I'm not sure what the margin of
error is).  Therefore, while overclocking is usually possible, there is
always a risk associated with it.  What needs to be decided is "Does risk
out-weigh the benefit".

When I first started learning about overclocking, the article I read talked
about the overall life of the chip.  The feeling at that time was you would
normally reduce the life of the processor by 20% to 40%.  But, the
processors were made to last six to eight years, so you would still get
three to four years (at least) of life out of an overclocked chip.  With
this being the longest most computers live before being replaced, the risk
has always been considered acceptable by those who wanted to tweak more
speed out of their systems.

The deciding factor in the life of a CPU is heat (imho).  The longer it is
kept at higher temperatures, the shorter the life.  If you are truly
concerned about the life of the chip, get a Peltier cooler.  Not only will
this extend the life, it will also increase the stability of the CPU, and
you could probably bounce it back up to 560 without any detrimental effects.
I have "heard" that a Peltier will keep the CPU around the 0 degrees mark
(farenheit), but I've not had the chance to test the validity of that
statement.  Most Peltier's cost around $60-$80.

Hope this helps!

Kyle Elmblade
Distinct Computer Solutions

p.s.  If you have lots of money to burn, look for the Kryotech case.  It is
a computer case that allows you to bring your processor temperature down
to -50 degrees celcius.  This makes the CPU run much faster, last longer,
and allows for pretty steep overclocking.  Last I heard, they run about
$500.