From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:19:15 -0500
To answer Kirt's question about whether Zoe was having problems which led to
the test, we did the test because we suspected yeast or other pathogen
overgrowth (which is not the case; there are a few pathogens but nowhere
near an alarming number.) She has been craving a lot of carbs. She has also
been having the rashes that she used to get from dairy and wheat, though
none of our foods are likely to be contaminated with these. I suspected that
the rash may be from yeast, but now I am wondering if it is reaction to
salicylates?

Judy, thanks for the Eastern thoughts on food and digestion, this is exactly
the sort of thing I was hoping to get. Unfortunately she is severely
allergic to eggs :( But the info about which foods are harsh on the
liver...I can see how she is having problems. Perhaps I will ask my
acupuncturist if she knows of someone who could help Zoe. There are certain
acupuncture techniques I have heard of that don't use needles and are
therefore suitable for children. I know that when I have a treatment, there
is always some imbalance involving my liver. I'll have to take a closer look
at this. (By the way, she's one of America's few lucky kids who has never
had an antibiotic. But then, I avoid conventional pediatricians since she
was a small infant.)

Thanks to everyone else for their account on the vegetable fat. I had been
sticking with "give lots of coconut milk, lauric acid is good for kids with
(certain immunologial problems)." and "olive oil is a *good* fat" (it's been
consumed almost daily in my house for the past 6 years). I am in a hard
place here, it is so difficult to convince Ben not to bring certain foods
into the house, I showed him all your suggestions and I think we can work
together to put them into effect.

Richard, the food rotation diet...we have done this before, at the very
begninning of our journey into paleo (which is what brought us to paleo in
the first place). I considered a roasted meat-and-vegetables only diet for
us for a week or more to see if things cleared up. In the past, Zoe has had
problems with rice, passing grains through that were completely undigested.
But perhaps that was mostly because of other things that were going on. I
can make very good sushi rice, and I wonder if this is the best way to cook
rice? (You cook it at varying temperatures; it cooks quickly compared to
other rices.)

Jean-Claude, were you consuming the animal fat raw? Would it be ok to
instead give her very lean meats which may have been grain finished? Raw
fat...I'm just not there yet. Talk to me about salmon though...I am happy to
eat that raw (and so is Zoe...she loves sushi/sashimi) I am told that you
make excellent salmon jerky. I have been making venison jerky, the meat that
I get is grass fed/grain finished. (Ben is not a hunter.)

Thanks to everyone for your help. I appreciate all your suggestions and
comments. It is probably obvious that I am overwhelmed and moving towards
"spent".
Stacie