From:
Hans Kylberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:50:07 +0100
At 18:50 2000-03-20 -0500, Mark wrote:
>The manager of the local Whole Foods market reports the farm raised salmon
>they sell are fed herring and have a comparable level of omega 3 or higher
>than salmon in the wild.

That will be a good salmon, but it is not the one generally available.
If we are looking not only to our own health, but also the health of the
paleo-ignorant masses, they will gladly buy the grainfed salmon and
the not so ignarant among them will think that they get a good omega3
deal. Deluded!
But why not eat the herring? This is more obvious than the vegetarians
eating the grains instead of beef, to save the earth.
In Sweden the small herrings of the Baltic have been a very important
food for thousands of years. But now the Baltic is polluted, and the
herring contains so much PCB that children and fertile women shall not
have more than one serving/week. Some say never eat it. Sad thing,
because that herring is tremendously nutritious and cheap.
The same (and worse) is the problem with Baltic salmon, but it does
not matter that much as it is practically extinct. There is an end
of the sea also.

- Hans

- Hans