BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"William B. Rose" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Callahan's Preservationeers"
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:09:47 -0500

>Do you architects feel that your crits prepared you for the working world?
>i.e. Have any of you experienced anything close to this level of rudeness in
>the working world?

No. And no. The rudeness has a life of its own in design schools, much like
child abuse passing down through generations. (Wasn't it Henderson the Rain
King who wanted to be big enough to absorb abuse and not pass it along?)
One of the ways that design professors sell their studio methods is
precisely on the dissimilarity between studio and mundane practice. "You'll
never get another chance to be this creative."

Besides, a jury is a show. A jury with explicit criteria is flat and
uninteresting. I know Eisenmann juries and they were bloody, juicy,
thrilling and threatening. If you got nuked, you went home crushed and
ruined. If you survived this culling, it felt glorious, even coming down
off stimulants. When you graduate, the show's over.