Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kenneth Alan Boyd Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 06:02:13 -0400
> From:    Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
>
> >From: Julius Militante <[log in to unmask]>

<SNIP>

> Well, when something stops working, the first suspect is the last thing you
> changed.  You say you bought and installed a new power supply but you didn't
> say why you did this.  Did the old one stop working?  If so, it's possible
> the motherboard was damaged when the old power supply failed.  If the old
> one was still working, try putting it back and see if the computer works
> again.  If the old one does not work, maybe you could find a schematic of
> what the different wires on the motherboard connector do in your motherboard
> manual.  You could disconnect the motherboard connecter and test the
> different wires with a voltmeter for correct voltages to see if the power
> supply is working.

I would suggest that you would get more meaningful readings if you leave the
motherboard power connector in place.  It would be better if you can safely
make contact with the metal in each connection (say, by inserting the tip
of the probe alongside the wire), with the other probe grounded to the
case of the power supply.  Avoid short circuits!

Some of the earliest power supplies actually "committed suicide" if run
without a load.  Modern ones should not - but the voltages may not be "in
spec" without an appropriate load.  If they happen to be correct without
a load, there is no guarantee that they will be correct with a load.

Boyd Ramsay

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html