CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 10:41:49 -0700

> Now on the "Diabetes: Ask the Dietitian Recipe Board with Noelle
> Jones" message board:
>
> Soy vs. dairy
> by skmonroe
>
> In addition to diabetes, my husband suffers from allergies that may be
> dairy related. We would like to try substituting soy milk for the milk
> he pours on his cereal and maybe venture into other soy substitutes
> like soy cheese, margarine, etc. We are not sure about the exchanges
> between soy milk and the 1% dairy milk we are now using. My husband
> has recently begun using insulin. We have been very lax about diet and
> now are concentrating on improving in this area. Any help or advice
> will be welcome. skmonroe
>
> Noelle Jones, RD, writes,
>
> Soy milk is typically low in carbs and high in protein. It is
> fine for him to use, but you wouldn't count it as a carb. Always
> check the label and look for "Total Carbohydrates" (not sugars).
> One serving of carb is 15 grams. I think soy milk has only two to
> three grams per serving, but it may vary according to the brand.
> He may want to add another carb food for every serving of milk he
> replaces with soy. Hope this helps!

This is something I read about soy on the WebMD news message.  Hi
Sherry--I didn't know you were on this list.  I've been on it for some
time.  My diabetic daughter isn't a celiac according to tests, but I am
interested in protein digestion issues and carbs, etc.  I will write
more--am involved in my mother's illness and have to leave town again.
After conferring with the dietitian in the hospital we decided to put my
mother on something called Vital (predigested) instead of the corn
syrupy stuff they had her on (something called Jevity). It looked to be
less allergenic.  I will write more later.  Mary J.