C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 12:30:50 EDT
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not a business place like a post
office or a bank is in violation of the ADA laws by refusing entrance to the
restrooms for a disabled person?

Here's a common scenario: I have gone into a bank or a post office and I have
asked if I can use the restroom since I NEEDED to use one ASAP or risk the
chances of an accident. I have been refused because "they don't have a
bathroom on the premises," but that I should be able to go the restaurant or
whatever other store nearby instead. I have told them that my bladder is
close to bursting. Usually this happens when I have had a long drive, and
have drunk enough water for my bladder to need to go URGENTLY ASAP. I am at
these places because of business purposes, not as a convenient place to stop
and ask.

If I could do that without any problem, I wouldn't be asking them for their
"exclusive bathroom."  Have any of you encountered this and what do you do
about this? Is there a definite way to find out if they are in violation or
not?

Thanks,

Dina