From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2000 16:15:33 -0400
At 4/22/00 10:14 AM +0100, Conor McNessa wrote:

>I'm running a computer with a 233MHz processor on a standard 440BX
>motherboard, with 256MB of RAM, and two IDE hard drives making up 12GB in
>four partitions altogether; I'm using an external modem, an old Hayes Accura
>33.6k/bps (though I've used various other modems).
>
>The operating system I'm using is Windows 98, and I'm running Internet
>Explorer 5 or 5.1 (I downloaded and installed 5.1, but it's still calling
>itself 5.0 on the About IE tab in IE Help); Outlook Express; Eudora;
>Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and Powerpoint; Conseal; PGP; Netscape
>Communicator; Winamp; RealPlayer; Norton AntiVirus; Opera; mIRC; Easy CD
>Creator; Adobe Acrobat; Audio Catalyst; Iomegaware; Winzip; Microsoft
>MapPoint, and The Sims.

><snip>
>When I start up the computer things go fine. I log on and get my email,
>browse some webpages.......
>Then the computer starts slowing disastrously. When I type each letter takes
>a fraction longer to arrive; when i mouse the cursor moves slowly and
>jerkily. When I alt-tab back and forth between programs or ctrl+F6 between
>windows there's a perceptible pause between act and response.

Resources may be your problem.  If you have any kind of "buildup" of mail
in your Eudora In, Out or Trash mailboxes and/or a lot of mailboxes "open"
(tabs at the bottom) you will use mucho resources.  As a test, I have less
than 10 mails in each of In, Out and Trash along with 4 mailboxes
open.  Eudora Pro (4.3) takes 17-19% resources.  As a comparison: IE 4.0
takes 2%, UltraEdit (notepad type editor) takes 3%, Word 97 takes 3 %,
Netscape 4.7 takes 8%. Opening 6 additional mailboxes in Eudora took an
additional 4%. I have had this problem with resources since I have several
background programs running with eat up my resources (some are monitoring
programs required my company).

I recommend installing Resource Monitor and watch it especially if you use
Eudora.

Doug

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html