From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:19:14 -0700
Good Morning,

I currently have a client that has decided to invest in
at least 18 servers for an Internet based business.  We
have three different uses for the systems, so that is causing
some issues in configuring the systems.  The underlying issue
to generate a single configuration module for the servers that
can easily implement into all uses required.

If you could provide input I would be much appreciative.  Here is
the general format we intend to use:

Rackmounted hotswap cases with redundant 2x300watt power
external hotswap SCSI 5.25" drive cases

CPU:  best bang for the buck on today's market with full warranty
     on CPU.  Probably Intel 133 FSB chip...
Ram: PC133 SDRAM 128mg no-ECC (one dimm module)
Motherboard:  Still undecided- no onboard video, sound, etc.  must
   support Raid SCSI controller, (raid 1 or 5)
Raid Controller: prefer single unit, PCI card to meet these three
   differing uses, Mylex or Adaptec are probably the only brands
   acceptable with at least Raid1, probably Raid5:
       - Low Disk IO:  I would like to still have mirrored root disks, but the
         IO is very low and almost no data space is needed.  An example
         would be a DNS server.
        - Medium Disk IO: These have 2 mirrored disks for root, and 2 mirrored
         larger disks for data.  Examples might be a low end web server or
         administration machine (OpenView, NetMon, syslog, ...)
        - High Disk IO/space: These need lots of storage and fast read/write
         capabilities.  The data is typically critical and hard to backup
         though conventional methods such as tape.  Examples would be
         high volume email or a database.
Network cards & UPS units are already determined...

These are basic servers, price is an issue, (as always).    Video cards are
minimum use, network cards are Tulip chipset 10/100 (to support Linux).  The
PC133 FSB is a continuing theme in our discussions.   I am looking for new
ideas to bring to the specifications I am drafting for this project...  like everyone
I tend to get behind on the latest and greatest, from time to time.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your input.

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org