Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 17:20:06 -0400
Amadeus Schmidt said:
>>Primate diet ok.. leaving out precessed foods - ok.
But should one eat turkeys, pigs and cattle
(loaded with hormones,pesticides and grain fed) as a *main* dish
instead of some insects, reptiles or birds?

In the U.S. (even in Ohio), we can get hormone and antibiotic-free chicken,
ostrich, and Coleman natural beef at the Churchill's chain of grocery
stores.  We can get hormone and antibiotic-free chicken, turkey, duck, and
rabbit at Campbell Poultry.  We can get hormone and antibiotic-free beef
(Laura's Lean Beef) at the Kroger's supermarket chain.  And we can get
hormone free poultry, meat, and chicken sausages (which by the way are lean
and nitrite-free).  It is not hard to find hormone and antibiotic-free meats
in the U.S.

Eating them need not crowd out vegetable eating either.  I personally eat
10-15 USDA servings of produce per day and my husband eats this many or
more.  A USDA serving of produce = 1/2 cup cooked veggies or raw carrots or
1 cup salad greens or other very watery veggies or 1 cup of berries or 1
small or 1/2 large apple/grapefruit.....

For many people eating 100 grams of nuts or seeds in a sitting/day (to get
protein as you suggest), would cause copious amounts of gas and bloating.
Ditto for the chickpeas and other beans (1 cup dry chickpeas may sound like
it has a lot of protein but it cooks up to be about 2-3 cups of beans--- a
real gas for many folks in that quantity!)

100 grams of nuts or seeds is roughly 1 full cup, 700-800 calories (a big
chunk out of a dieter's daily caloric allotment or the daily needs for a
person who is not exercising hours per day or supporting a huge lean body
mass).  To get the same amount of protein (as the USDA charts claim for 100
grams of seeds, beans, etc), I could eat a mere 3 ounces of chicken or
turkey breast (at a meal) for a mere 100-120 calories and have room to eat
plenty of vegetables at each meal as well.  Also, the protein grams (on
paper) for beans, nuts, seeds, and grains is pretty theoretical---the
absorption rate is much lower for vegetable proteins than for complete
proteins from animal foods.

There are many people who've tried to get their protein from soaked or
soaked and well cooked grains, beans, legumes, and other veggies and found
they just could not get *blood from a turnip*

Rachel