From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 11:25:23 -0700
Sorry, I did not change the subject because I really
am replying to the whole digest!

Justin wrote:

> I pretty much eat this meal 4-5 times per day when
> I'm trying to lose more
> than 2lbs of fat per week:
> 1/2 T Flax
> 1 T Cod Liver Oil
> 1 can tuna fish cooked in skillet with tomatoe and
> green peppers

Sounds like the "tuna and water" diet I read about
recently on davedraper.com. I think it was a
bodybuilding pre-contest "cutting" diet they used a
lot in the "old days". His version went like this:
Tuna and water only (add the oils if you like) for the
first 3 days. Then, continue with the tuna, but start
adding low carb veggies to the meals, with higher carb
entries being added over time. At some point the cycle
starts all over again. Healthy? I'm not sure.
Certainly it's not any worse than some of the other
"crash" diets out there.

> I usually don't like to waste my money on EC and
> metabolic thyrolean,

I'm familiar with the EC stacks, but what is
thyrolean?

Eric wrote:

> Dang, man! That's serious...
> It sound's like the body's adaptive machinery at
> work.

A couple of years ago I read a lot of articles that
addressed this problem. I haven't heard too many
opinions on it lately, perhaps because "cycling"
calories is probably more complicated for most people
than simply counting them. Perhaps the easiest idea to
implement came from a researcher who suggested
alternating 2 week cycles. During the first 2 week
cycle, go higher on carbs but make sure the calories
are kept low. During the second 2 week cycle, drop the
carbs and focus more on protein/fat intake. Then
repeat the cycles. His theory was that it takes 10-14
days for the body to really adapt to a particular
diet. Of course, his suggested menus included a lot of
non-paleo foods, but the basic idea seems sound.

> I've got one of those scales that reports
> percentage of body fat,

Which one do you have? I've heard that some are
notoriously inaccurate. Have you compared the scale's
numbers to a "real" bodyfat test?

Debby wrote:

> >They gave out free food at the event---apples and
> bananas (great choice!!),
> >white flour bagels (ugh!) and CHERRIOS (sponsorship
> is everything!!),

Last saturday I went to a PTA fundraising walk with my
7 year old. One booth had some *very* tasty salmon
burgers. Supposedly Alaskan salmon fortified with some
extra omega-3 oils. If anyone would be interested in
the name of the company let me know. I can find out
and post it.

Eric wrote:

> In particular, in a diet that
> is otherwise "paleo" in nature, does it make sense
> to include:
>   * corn
>   * rice
>   * potatoes
>   * beans

IMHO, the foods you mention are "borderline".

As you state, corn CAN be eaten raw, and immature corn
(the Chinese food variety) especially. Some
researchers believe corn (as well as some other new
world foods - wild rice, potatoes, beans) may have
been regularly consumed by native Americans as long
ago as 25,000 years. Which would predate the current
agricultural period by 15,000+ years. Nomadic Native
Americans used to plant corn and bean plants together
(the baens would use the corn stalks as beanpoles),
and harvest them when they returned during their
meanderings.

These foods, however, have so many problems associated
with them, I would avoid them as much as possible.
(Unless you have Native American ancestry? My wife has
some, and she seems to be able to tolerate these foods
better than I).

http://invites.yahoo.com/