BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:16:48 -0400
IPTW 2001: Resolution of Solidarity re September 11, 2001

Despite the recent tragedy at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and
the flight in Pennsylvania, the executives, board and local planning
committee of the Preservation Trades Network have determined that we
will not compromise in the face of terrorism. The preservation trades
will exercise their freedom to congregate for the Gathering of the
Trades at the International Preservation Trades Workshops 2001, to be
held in October at Floyd Bennett Field, Gateway National Recreation
Area, Brooklyn, NY.

Floyd Bennett Field has historic importance in the history of flight
prior to, during and following World War II. In keeping with the
cross-generational community of PTN, the Saturday evening reception will
be held with the Historic Aircraft Restoration Program, which is
comprised of a significant number of military veterans. These veterans
share with PTN the joy of preserving history through the hands-on
restoration of their built environment, which consists of historic
aircraft true to type for Floyd Bennett Field. We believe that the
reception will provide a vital opportunity for further healing of the
spirit and a reflection upon the historical context of global freedom.

For those of us who reside and work in New York City and suburban New
Jersey, the events of the World Trade Center tragedy have been
difficult, to say the least. Many of us in the preservation industry
have been called upon in various capacities to assist evaluating the
existing conditions of nearby buildings, and to take action to bring
back what we can of what has been so terribly taken away.

For some of us there has been little that we can do to deal with our
sense of loss except to support and console each other, and to show that
although we are resolute on behalf of our country, our compassion and
creative spirit are stronger than any threat. As part of the process of
reasserting our community, we invite all participants to work with the
hands-on demonstrations to fabricate objects that not only show the
skills of the preservation trades, but also a symbolic response to these
events.

We need your help, and support, and your words. We need you to come to
Brooklyn, to Floyd Bennett Field in October, and to join with the
Preservation Trades Network in underscoring the importance of the
rebuilding of our built environment through the strength of our
community of spirit.

Please distribute this message and assist us in getting the word out.
For further information on IPTW go to www.ptn.org

Ken Follett, President, PTN Board
Bill Gould, Vice President, PTN Board
Bryan Blundell, Secretary/Treasurer, PTN Board Chairman
Duffy Hoffman, PTN Board
Misia Leonard, PTN Board
Laura Saeger, PTN Board
Lisa Sasser, PTN Board
Don Swanson, chair PTN membership committee
Rudy Christian, President, Timber Framers Guild
Carole Briggs, PTN Counsel
Simon Flynn, Sr., Flynn Management