BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bruce Marcham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chapel of the unPowered nailers.
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 15:06:26 -0500
Here's a literary reference for those so inclined:

Back when I was in high school (or maybe late junior high) some of us read a
cheery story that I think was named "Ethan Frome" after its lead character
(I don't remember the author).  If memory serves me correctly at some point
Ethan tries to take his life by sledding into a tree.  As he's doing this he
employs the mantra "I can fetch it" and while he does "fetch" the tree he
doesn't die and spends the rest of his life being crippled just enough to
make his life, miserable as it was, just that much worse (I think he had an
older shrew of a wife and at the point he went sledding they had an
attractive young lady for a house guest).

I had a group of friends who lived up the steep hill from our high school
and they took a shortcut straight down the hill to school (they all lived on
or around Strawberry Lane, for those of you who know the Cayuga Heights area
real well).   While steep in the summer in the winter it had the added
dimension of being snowy since no one cared to clear it (after all it was
only a dirt path through the trees).  Getting to school basically involved
bouncing off the trees on the way down.

This was called "Froming."  Needless to say calls of "I can fetch it!!!"
could be heard through the trees as they came to school.

I had some memorable winter camping trips with these guys.  "Matches?  I
thought you were bringing the matches!"