BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Go preserve a yurt, why don'tcha.
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:15:58 EST
In a message dated 12/21/00 8:05:47 PM Central Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< I think trailers stink.  >>

Actually, I am fond of stinking trailers. I thank you for reminding me during
this season of introspection and joy.

In my newspaper boy days, which I am often reminded of when there is a snow
storm... for having delivered papers on foot in snowstorms and wondering if
all of life was going to be such a frigid hell, I had this one customer, an
older farm hand to two even older sisters, that lived down a side dirt road
in a beat up old trailer behind the barns and I distinctly remember him, I
forget most of the other customers, for that fact that when I went to collect
for the papers, wanting to maintain my $7 per week, when he opened the
trailer door, which was usually towards dusk when I got there, first an eire
light would shine out with him in silhouette, gargantuan, monumental,
overbearing, at least to me, he usually was not wearing more than his shorts,
a hairy guy, a lonely guy he was always happy to see a visitor -- a blast of
heat would hit me in the face and the most incredible stench mixed between
kerosene heat, cow manure, perspiration, cheap red wine, soiled clothes,
garlic and boiled potatoes would hit me.

Happy holidays, and keep the stinkin' trailers coming,
][<en