BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks." -- Mary D
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 08:49:28 EDT
In a message dated 6/30/00 2:52:43 AM Central Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> About a year ago we had a discussion about water struck brick and  possible
>  sources for its replacement...now I cannot find that info....any help for
> the weary?

Checking BP archives at:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=bullamanka-pinheads

Mon, 21 Jun 1999 23:14:07 EDT

>What is "very soft" brick?  What is "Philadelphia brick"? >

From what I've gathered, original bricks were molded - irregular,
colonial-style stuff.   In the late 19th century, machinery made it possible
to make pressed brick - straight & smooth.    A little later, they were spit
out with an extrusion process - with a tell-tale 'pulled' sort of texture.

The brick that CT found for me (I had never heard of the term "Philadelphia
brick," either) were what I needed to restore an 1885 Frank Furness chimney.
Very even and regular smooth brick that take to a 1/8" to 3/16" wide setting
bed.

A month or so ago, someone mentioned "water-struck" brick, and I think that
it another term for a pressed brick that has had the mold wetted so that the
face comes out slicker than the sandier texture it would have if it were
drier.

Can someone else help out here and give us additional poop?

John Mascaro
------

Tue, 22 Jun 1999 07:27:31 -0400

All of the bricks which line the vaults of the masonry arches in Central
Park are listed in the Park's Annual Reports from the original construction
dates as having been built with "Philadelphia brick".  They are universally
deep red and soft faced.  I think we were able to match them with custom
units from Belden during restorations.

I'm not sure if it was from them or another supplier but my memory is much
affected by my own chemistry experiments at RISD in the 70's.

Mark Rabinowitz