BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks." -- Mary D
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2000 08:58:11 -0400

Earthlink and Mindspring merged several months ago.  I'm on the Mindspring
side of things with my personal account, and have found them to be superb.
I think the Earthlink/Mindspring combo will be an even stronger ISP; they
are not yet physically linked (the infrastructure remains as it was when
they combined).  I'm with John...Earthlink will provide superior service.
When I dial up, I almost always connect first time; I have never gotten more
than one busy signal before connecting.  I never get dropped.  Once
connected, I'm on for the duration of my session.  Of course, I have the
cadillac of modems, a USR Courier V.Everything...somebody in the house can
pick up another phone when I am online and it won't drop the connection.  A
lot of peoples' problems with their ISP services can be traced to phone
network, modem compatibility/ configuration, etc., but it is a sport to just
blame it on "the rotten ISP."  Much of this mystery technology of machines
squawking to each other in sing-song voices over telephone lines: I'm amazed
that it works as well as it does.
Dan Becker,  Executive Director          "What's this? Fan mail
Raleigh Historic                                   from some flounder?"
Districts Commission                           - Bullwinkle J. Moose