BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Astral Rendered Bee Wax -TM"
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 18:15:39 EDT
In a message dated 4/15/2000 2:24:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< Tell me, you architects out there.... does this happen often enough to be
 regarded as a typical "trial by fire" for all aspiring architects. Maybe us
 thin-skinned HP program members just weren't prepped on the traditions of an
 allied profession...

Mary dearest,

I'm afraid trial by jury is an architectural tradition, for which no amount
of vaseline is ever sufficient the first time.  We of the architectural
persuasion have all been reamed out publicly (or at least in front of our
studio-mates) by our "critics".  However, we do it to each other, too (or at
least I've done it.)

The time I remember best was our first design project in 1st year studio,
when we had to design a personal calendar.  Being the imaginative sort that I
am, I did a desk-blotter sized thing, with each page (and date number, etc)
all hand-lettered in some sort of vaguely 1920's-30's typeface that I thought
was neat at the time.  What it amounted to was an extremely labor-intensive
hybrid of a desk blotter and girl scout calendar, since it hung on the wall.
One of my colleagues made up some sort of a device which I remember as a cube
about 1 foot on each side (maybe each of the vertical sides had 3 months'
worth of calendars on it). On top of each of the 4 vertical sides was a
cutout vaguely-camelback-shaped device which the designer explained to us
represented a T-square, the symbol of the Architect.  We ragged this guy so
badly that he quit (he was no good, anyway).

Then one of our classmates presented his calendar, lovingly assembled out of
beer/soda cans stuck together on their sides (as if you turned a case of beer
on its side).  The "top" end of each can was fitted with a cutout circle, so
you didn't see the hole in each now-empty can.  My colleague (and later
roommate) told us that the way one adjusted the date on this perpetual
calendar involved moving a magnet from one can top to the next.  Smart ass
showoff that I am, I suggested that the designer demonstrate this amazing
device.....having previously noticed that the cans he used all had aluminum
tops.

Then there was my future best friend Clark, who had made a calendar
consisting of two rows of varying height blocks (12 for months, and 31 for
the days).  One moved an inverted arrow from day to day and month to month;
each block had a hole in the top of it to allow the arrow to be secured.
Your intrepid Humor Czar thought he had this guy (who I barely knew at the
time) nailed too: I asked him to move his little arrow into one of the dates
that was on a shorter block, being reasonably confident that the rather wide
arrow wouldn't fit into the relatively narrow space between the abutting
higher blocks on each side.   He'd outsmarted me though: the pin on the arrow
that fit into the hole in the top of each block was long enough that the
arrow didn't have to fit into the too-narrow space.   The Boys (and girl)
were glad to see me get my comeuppance on that one.

I don't doubt that a personage such as Stern could be particularly unpleasant
in such an exercise, however.  Do tell!

Ralph