BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ralph Walter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Astral Rendered Bee Wax -TM"
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 22:58:48 EDT
In a message dated 4/12/2000 5:14:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<  Are the sash stops those skinny boards with the
 screws in them?  Maybe I'll learn the nomenclature of the window
 after a while.  Ruth >>

Ruth:

Affirmative, only I wouldn't call something as small as a stop a "board;" a
stop is more of a molding.  Stick with us, honey, and you'll learn more
boring horseshit than you ever dreamed existed.  Your friends up in the North
Woods may drop you, but you'll have us to talk about this stuff with.

Ralph

And by the way, the fact that your stops are set with screws (and maybe
finishing washers?) would seem to indicate that you don't live in a tarpaper
shack.  Ordinarily, stops (frequently bullnosed stops) are nailed in; parting
strips, on the other hand, should be pressure fitted.  The fact that
whoever-it-was in the Olden Days set the stops with screws shows good
workmanship and planning to accommodate the ultimately-required maintenance.
Either that, or the More Modern guy with the screw gun couldn't be bothered
with finishing nails.

Tell us more!