BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - "Infarct a Laptop Daily"
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 20:28:37 -0500
...on the most recent privy discovery.

I got stiffed on a site meeting in the field this morning because they
couldn't (didn't want to) get out in the two inches of heavy snow that fell
before sun up.

It was in a commercial area right around the corner from the privy, so I
strolled over for a closer look while waiting my customary 20 minutes for
late/missing appointments.

A second quick look revealed that the structure still retains wood shake
shingles under the sheet tin on the roof...they appear to be original.
Drew, it is cross-ventilated with single diamond-shape cutouts about 8
inches square, one on each side of the structure.  The structure is sided
with board and batten, and the cutouts are trimmed with the batten material.

Heidi, it _is_ plumbed...with what appears to be a Crapper!  The tank is
about 5-feet up on the back wall, and appears to be mahogany.  The shutters
being stored inside inhibited my being able to inspect anything much beyond
that...can't see the floor, or whether the commode portion of the Crapper is
still present.  So it's still inconclusive as to whether it was built with
plumbing, or was adapted with plumbing.

I have an appointment with the owner's representative to take a walk through
of the house tomorrow, and will try to get photos then.  More news later.
Dan Becker,  Executive Director          "What's this? Fan mail
Raleigh Historic                                   from some flounder?"
Districts Commission                           - Bullwinkle J. Moose