BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - \"Preservationists shouldn't be neat freaks.\" -- Mary D" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Heidi Harendza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Aug 2000 13:02:57 EDT
In a message dated 08/02/2000 2:16:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I think this building [about to be demolished by NYU] does not meet the test
>  for an appropriate use of Landmark designation:
>
>  1.   The house is heavily altered from when Poe lived there (top two floors
>  of facade intact (lower two floors pushed out with 1920's storefront).
>  2.  Poe did not build or materially alter the house.
>  3.  His occupancy was extremely brief.
>
>  What do NYC-area Pinheads think?

Prefacing my remarks with the understanding that I have never seen these
buildings, and know nothing about  other than what has been presented here...

Perhaps you could provide us with more specifics? I would be interested to
hear the statement of significance on this building, and see pictures of the
building, the streetscape, and the rationale for demolition.

1. I don't know the local designation practice for NYC, but doesn't the
National Register have a criteria separate for structures related to famous
people? Specifically a criteria separate from architectural significance? I'm
not exactly sure how the criteria would be applied in this case, but I think
that the association with a famous person is the significant issue here, not
so much the outstanding nature of the architecture.

2. Example: Geo. Washington never owned, altered, or impacted the design of
the Wallace House in Sommerville for the six months he stayed there, but his
actions while in residence altered the course of American history. I don't
thing Poe's lack of participation in the design process or the duration of
his residence necessarily affect the significance of the building.

3. Speaking from the perspective of a former American Literature student, Poe
is absolutely one of the foremost figures in American literature.  While that
statement alone does not make this building significant to his life, I think
that his importance should command a certain respect to buildings associated
with his life.

4. Master plan: in New Jersey, master plans are designed to identify, record,
and consider existing natural and cultural resources for the future. The Poe
House is an existing cultural resource, and as such, any Master Plan should
be impacted by its existance.

These are just some thoughts. I don't have an opinion for or against
regarding landmark designation, since I don't know the specifics.

Sign me,
Did the House of Usher fall or was it pushed?