From:
Beth (Skylark) <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:46:25 -0500

CELIAC BABIES HELP SUMMARY

****************************

try giving them something like corn tortillas to munch on. the only rice
crackers my 3 yr old and myself have ever found that we liked now have
wheat added so we can no longer buy them. we do not make any breads etc
since i can not stand the taste. we did just get an order of the chebe
bread to try. anything not made with rice is best for us!

****************************

try to get a good blender or food processor and make some fresh fruit
purees or smoothies for treats. then they get all natural no sweetners
and all the vitamins. we just got a juicer a month ago and we make fresh
juice. it sure helps with all the raw vegies you need to intake. my best
advice is to change the habits immediately since they are  young. it
will be much easier!

**************************

it will be hard for a couple weeks, but after that they will be easy!
yogurt, raisins, cheese.try giving them something like corn tortillas to
munch on. . try to get a good blender or food processor and make some
fresh fruit purees or smoothies for treats. then they get all natural no
sweetners and all the vitamins. we just got a juicer a month ago and we
make fresh juice. it sure helps with all the raw vegies you need to
intake. they reccomend that half of your vegie intake be from raw and
not all from cooked.. we try to just make snacks be something with fruit
or vegies. if they start it young, they will be fine with it. it does
work. you can make your own fruit rolls when they get older. you can
also make your own peanut butter for on fruits when they are older in
the blender. but my best advice is to change the habits immediately
since they are  young.

************************

I try to buy rice cakes as cheaply as possible for snacks,  buy gluten
free cereal by the case at our grocery store for a slight discount,  and
try to eat alot of other things that aren't baked goods. I have found
that a mixer like a kitchen aid mixer does fine,  no need for a bread
machine.I also found that making my own pre-mixed dry ingredients saved
alot of time

***********************

One word of observation - you will be amazed how quickly your children
(the 1 year olds) will forget about crackers and cookies when they
haven't had them for a week or two.  Carbs are addictive. Also, the
crackers from Dietary Specialties aren't that expensive, and they taste
pretty good. Sweet GF Flour Mix:  An excellent flour mix to use in all
your cookie, donut, cake, quick bread recipes.  It was posted to the
list about a year ago, and I use if for all my "sweet-type" baking.  The
only change I made is not to add Xanthum gum to the mix, but add it to
each individual recipe.  For anything that's sweet, use this flour as a
measure-for-measure substitute for all purpose flour. Just remember to
add some xanthum gum (for those who can tolerate it) to the recipe to
help it hold together.  Mix together and then store in Freezer:

***********************

At Passover time (April), the Kosher bakeries always carry a selection
of cookies made from potato flour.  You can also buy the wonderful
Manischevitz macaroons in a can.  After Passover, they often go on sale,
but will last a year in the sealed can.  These choices are not a
inexpensive as baking yourself, but they are a lot less costly than the
GF cookies from the health food stores or the GF bakeries

*************************

Bette Hagman has the best cook book for gluten free. Good Luck

**********************

I buy my gf flour from The Authentic Foods as that's all they do is have
a strictly gf environment as I don't trust getting products anywhere
else because of cross-contamination You have to have  them gf inside and
outside of their bodies, shampoos ,soaps and etc

*********************

The food is all so expensive. If you have a Trader Joes near you, they
have a gluten free cracker called Savory ThinsThey are pretty cheap.  I
would recommend you get a good gluten free cookbook. Bette Hagman has a
pretty good one out that is mostly about baking bread. It is her newest
one. I like it because it explains about the different flours and gives
you recipes for flour mixes. . I have found that I do better baking in
the oven and not the bread machine.

However, you must have a heavy duty mixer (like a kitchenaid). There are
also pretty good mailorder breads from a company called Kinnikinnick web
site is Kinnikinnick.com.

*******************

Special Diets for Special Kids, a book by Lisa Lewis, Ph.D.., who has a
son intolerant to gluten and casein and is autistic (like my son).  It
is half her story and half cookbook, and well worth the money ($25).
But you might be able to find it in a library somewhere, and just copy
down the recipes.  It might be in either the cookbook section or the
section on autism.

Because of my own experience, I would be real cautious about introducing
dairy to your babies, since you already know of one food intolerance
they have.  And any tests you can have run on them before you go GF (and
on the rest of the family - CD can be latent) would be beneficial for
getting a clear diagnosis (though you already know what they have, the
medical profession often feels unless THEY have pronounced someone with
a diagnosis, then the patient/parent doesn't really have the disease).
Once you are GF antibody levels decrease to below detectable levels This
is an expensive diet.  My only thought for you in order to cut down on
cost, is to test the entire family and only feed the expensive gf foods
to those that need it.

************************

I find that the homeade stuff is ok but not as consistently as the
special order stuff

************************

Try Kinnikinnick..............their bread sampler is 24.95  (OVERTURE)
and there is no shipping charge on it........

**********************

One thing I would recommend doing while the twins are still
consuming gluten, I would go ahead and have them tested for celiac
disease.

Not necessarily the biopsy, but at least the blood test and maybe the
stool sample test Dr. Fine recommends.  That way you will have something
to back up your convictions.  If the tests come back negative you can
still try the GF diet for them and see if it helps. One of the best
bargains I have found are rice crackers at Sam's Wholesale Club.  They
come four in a package for about $5, so that is only $1.25 each for the
same quantity that is over $3 at the health food store. Whenever I am in
a big city, I check out the HFS and see what bargains I can stock up on,
especially cereal

*************************

Bette Hagman's cookbook has a great Cheese-It cracker.  You need to roll
them thin as possible.  The best bread I've made makes in 1 hr. and 15
min. start to finish..  I've been making rice krispy squares with choc.
or fruity crispys by Malt-O-MealIf you don't grind your own flour, buy
it at an asian market to save moneyhttp://www.thevision.net/maxwell/html/
celiac.html

**************************

Bette Hagman's book gives several different flour mixes.    Sylvan
Border Farms comes with tips on how much xanthan gum to add depending on
what your baking.

*************************

To substitute flour is the best way to buy a large quantity "parboiled"
rice, provide for yourself good quality grain mill and make rice flour
of your own. That flour you can use to make a pancakes, waffles, also
substitute for breadcrumbs, pudding ect., life is beautiful without
gluten an you will raise healthy family without dental and doctor expenses

Again, Thanks!

~Mary 'Beth' Buchanan-Broom aka: Skylark
Mom of Jen 13, Alex 10, Todd 9, Sarah 8, Ben 4, & Jeremy & Zachary 1,=20
and three little angels in heaven. =3D) =3D) =3D)
AOL IM Skylark7k [log in to unmask]
http://www.cblink.com/userpages/~circleb
Owner of eGroups HeartofSeton and SimplyCeliac.=20
Moderator of eGroups CajunConnection and WordWorkers
Owner of Castlenet IRC channels #CajunConnection and #CeliacSprue